Main Street Rock Hall, a non-profit organization dedicated to the revitalization and economic vitality of the Main Street corridor, recently received a $40,000 Facade Improvement grant. These monies were awarded by the State Department of Housing and Community Development’s Community Legacy Program which “provides local governments and community development organizations with funding for essential projects aimed at strengthening communities through activities such as business retention and attraction, encouraging home ownership and commercial revitalization.”
The $40,000 reimbursement grant monies received will be available to qualified applicants (see below) for up to $10,000.
- All applicants must provide a 1/1 match for monies received to demonstrate their commitment to and investment in their projects. (For example, a $10,000 award would require a $10,000 matching contribution from the applicant.)
- Buildings must be at least 25 years old.
- Buildings must be used in whole or in part for commercial purposes.
- Mixed-use buildings will be given preference.
- Buildings must be located within Rock Hall’s designated Main Street corridor, which includes Highway Commercial, shown in orange, and Town Center Commercial, shown in red. (Click below to view map.)
Grant recipients will be required to fund their own improvements up-front, with reimbursement being made following receipt of required documentation such as photos of completed work, contractor invoices detailing work completed, and cancelled checks for payments made by grantee. Any structural work costing $5,000 or more must be approved by a licensed architect.
Applications from qualified applicants will be accepted through April 15, 2020 with decisions regarding grant recipients being determined by May 15, 2020, following consideration by a review committee.
Additional Requirements and Conditions:
Following approval of applications and permits, projects must be completed within six months. Any work completed after six months will not be reimbursable. Extenuating circumstances will be considered and evaluated on a case-by-case basis.